Wednesday, March 7, 2018

One Eyed Jack


One Eyed Jack
By: Christopher J. Lynch
Narrated by: Tom Jordan
Length: 5 hrs and 35 mins
Unabridged
Release date: 01-17-18



One eye Jack is like no other blackmailer I have ever read about. There is no doubt the man loves his money and has no trouble finding enough marks to keep him in lots of it. He is also a man with a heart just when you think this man is lower than dirt the author twists the story making him somewhat a hero in your eyes. Don’t get me wrong he is a very bad man who should be in jail. Jack is a unique man who is very, very complex. He is a user and will use anybody who gets in his way. He will shake you down make you pay and then make you do his bidding. The author gives you a wild, exciting, dangerous and funny read that holds your attention.

The narrator as always does a wonderful job from his character voices to the emotion even the dry tone he uses for Jack just fits the characters. His character voices are wonderful you always know who is talking and what they are feeling. His male to female voice to the different character voice changes are smooth, and even. He gives the right tones for the scenes you can hear the fear, excitement, danger in the characters voices. His performance is just outstanding. There is no background noises, no volume changes, no repeating of words just a very clean and clear audio that pulls you in. The narrator has a very smooth rich voice which is wonderful, his normal voice is just pleasant and enjoyable. It seemed like one delightful read with no breaks taken. He really bought Jack alive for me, and I am not sure I would have pictured him the same way had I just read and not listened. I had no trouble picturing the scenes as they were laid out. Mr. Jordan really made this a run listen that I got lost in.

When I first started listening to this I thought Jack just does not have a soul but as the author throws a few twists in you see he does. He does care about people, but he isn’t afraid to use them to reach his goal and if an injustice is done (not by him but someone else) he isn’t afraid to stand up and make it right or even by his thoughts. Jack is a very interesting character that I came to like very much. I really enjoyed the twists and turns, the humor, along with a few heart stopping moments, the action and the thrills. The author put a lot of thought into each character and how they would be portrayed. My heart did break for a few of them and others I didn't feel very sorry for. I really enjoyed that he was working on more than one case at a time. I loved how he got into messes and got out of them. This was a very interesting and exciting listen that leaves you with your mouth hung open a time or two. You will chuckle and laugh and even talk to a few characters. A very well written story that keeps you hanging on and not being able to put it down. I am really looking forward to reading the next one in this series.

Buy Links
Audible

Amazon

B&N


Summary
A 2013 Shamus Award finalist, and Writer's Digest self-published book awards Honorable mention.
Professional blackmailer John Sharp, aka One Eyed Jack, is a man who knows how to keep a secret – for a price. But when a routine case of infidelity takes an unexpected detour, he soon finds himself caught in a tangled web of double-blackmail, commodities manipulation, and trying to rescue the woman that had once been his target.

Judge, 22nd Annual Writer’s Digest Self-Published Book Awards said,
"In One-Eyed Jack, author Christopher J. Lynch has created a multifaceted main character who will instantly grip readers from the moment he steps onto the stage. What I found interesting was how I both liked and disliked this character at the same time; this is something I've rarely experienced in my many years of reading fiction. This is definitely a book you won't be able to put down."

Check out the video trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvraVL8dMY0

No comments:

Post a Comment