Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Stranger's Kindness


A Stranger's Kindness

Written by: EC Stilson
Narrated by: Courtney Parker
Length: 6 hrs and 20 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:08-09-17
Publisher: Wayman Publishing




I do not even know where to begin this let’s start with the characters Mark a bachelor doesn’t need a women in fact jokes about them but one look and he is a night in shinning armor who will bend over backward for a women he doesn’t know? He also has a girlfriend that lives somewhere away from them, but from the writing you think he is a playboy with a different girl each night. Gina is thirty something but acts like she is twelve the things she does as far as getting his attention and how she deals with her ex’s and friends etc  are things we did in middle school. Every time I thought this was going somewhere I found it wasn’t as the character went out of character and changed their whole attitude.  Gina’s emotions were all over the place first she wouldn’t leave the shmuck and then she would break up with him and go back. When she found out he was married she still didn’t break up with him. Her daughter talked about how he scared her and you thought she saw the light no one would hurt her kids and then she brought him back into their lives. She tells Mark they can’t be anymore than friends but then just about attacks him. The whole plot is like this. They say one thing and do something else. I don’t think I ever hear the shmucks name and everyone calling him that got a little old.

I think the narrator did a pretty good job but maybe a more mature voice would have been better. Ms. Parker’s voice is young and exciting but didn’t sound 30. Some of her character voices were outstanding but some of the voices were too much alike and sound too much like her normal voice which was a little confusing.  Her male voices need a little work they need to be a little deeper. There were times when you could hear the excitement or sorrow in her voice I thought this was done very well.  There are 3 places about ¾ way through where she repeats words or a sentence. I hear no background noise, it was a very clear audio. If any breaks were taken I could not tell. At times she needs to pause a little longer where other times it was just right. There were some time you could tell she was reading, it didn’t seem natural the flow was off but other times it was perfect.  I think her natural voice is very lovely.

These characters are just too wishy washy with emotions going too far one way and then to far the other way. Too much filler was used you could have skipped most of some the chapters and not missed much. There were times when the author hinted things were going to get dangerous and exciting or a character was going to go psycho but it never happened. I really had to push myself to listen to the whole audio. Too much contradictions and immature characters the author lost me almost from the first page and never got me back. Some love this drama filled child like story I just did not.  

Buy Links
Audible
  
Amazon

B&N

Summary
"Love can carry us through all of this. It doesn't age. Its back doesn't go out. It doesn't get arthritis, or need a motor. It doesn't lose its hearing or become forgetful. It is what keeps on when the years get late and our hair is grey. It's what can heal and buoy us through anything. I want to be old with you, yes, but I want to feel young with you forever."
I finished reading the words and found myself speechless. I was a single mother, yet this selfless bachelor had come into my life, and he had literally changed everything. I'd never known a love like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment