Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Bride List


The Bride List (Great Plains Book 2)
by Janet Syas Nitsick


This was a cute story Jim wants to be a minister getting off the train he start his new life by trying to hide from a friend he knows from home. She always seems to have trouble follow her and gets him in some pickles. He really doesn’t like her and find her annoying. After a few pages he finds he likes her and then loves her. The story does fit the books title for there is a brides list that the president of the college wants him to pick a bride from and start courting her. He even tells him who to start with but on meeting her he find that her face reminds him of a horse. He then lies to her so he can spend time with Annie Lee. This will not be the first of last lie he tells and ask God to help him through his trials. For someone who puts his hands in Gods and wants to be a minister I found this to be a letdown.  

I did like Jim he was kind and helpful and a gentleman. He doesn’t like the brides list but none of them do. Most of his classmates lie and say they have a girl back home so they do not have to pick from the list. I thought it was a little much for a college to demand you find a bride or they will kick you out of school. Annie Lee was really nice she does like to pull Jim’s chain which was cute even cuter how he found it annoying. The supporting characters were fun and really friendly helping out the new teacher. I did find “Love is in the air” every few sentence annoying. There were a lot of thing that pushed me to a three star and that was one of them. The principal is a drunk and very disrespectable to women I am unsure how no one has ever seen this until Annie Lee came to town.

It is a book strongly base on religion it just isn’t how I see religion to be. Yes I will agree if he doesn’t find someone appalling he should not marry her but he went on courting her even though he knew he was going to get out of it.  He bought a lot of trouble on his self by not being upfront and honest. Betty fell for him but nothing is said about how she took the news when he wanted someone else. She said I love him and papa won’t let me see him anymore. That is the last we hear of her. For someone who wants to be a minister I found Jim to be dishonest and asking God to help him get out of the mess he made.

I did think Annie Lee was a fun character. I enjoyed the baiting back and forwards with Jim. I thought she handled things well when the principal got out of hand and I liked how her friends helped her. I liked how Jim’s friends and family stood up for him and how the principals son stood up to help. He found that sometime to be kind you have to be taught a lesson on manners. I didn’t like how the characters thought one thing and said another. I really didn’t think we needed to know all their thoughts. All in all it was a cute read with meaning and the message of God. I found my mind wondering and the author just lost me due to the issues above. There are some very cute and at times funny parts that I really enjoyed. I am sure others will love this please don’t go by what I think if you think you will enjoy it please give it a try.

Buy Links
Amazon

B&N

Google Play

Kobo

Summary
Jim Ward was in a tizzy when the president of the Presbyterian Theological Seminary College presented him The Bride List of ladies for him to court and suggested he start with Betty Chapman. A sweet woman, the president said. Oh, but that horse face of hers made Jim pine for his childhood nemesis, Annie Lee, who arrived in town a few weeks earlier.
He remembered the day he dipped his classmate’s pigtails in the inkwell to repay her for breaking his slate. But now, despite his best efforts, he was falling in love with his former classmate and desired to court her instead of Betty.
However, he had to drop this wish when allegations of moral improprieties surfaced, which not only damaged his reputation but Annie Lee’s as well. The Bride List, a humorous tale of a love-hate relationship that only the good Lord could ordain.

No comments:

Post a Comment