Sunday, August 13, 2017

River City Blues


River City Blues

Written by: Ward Howarth
Narrated by: Ward Paxton
Length: 9 hrs and 10 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:02-15-17
Publisher: Ward Howarth



I had a hard time getting into this audio it isn’t the plot or story. I just feel I most likely would have enjoyed it more if I had read it. There are a lot of twists and turns, the author gives you suspense and action. It is a believable story with some very good characters.

For me the narration isn’t smooth, there are places I think he should have paused and others where he should not have. Mr. Paxton has a very nice voice but all of his character voices seem really old when I thought they should have been a little younger. Don’t get me wrong he does a very nice older one. I hear no repeating of words, it is a very clear audio, there are no background noises. I really think the reason I could not get into it was it wasn’t smooth moving from plot to character. It is really hard for me to explain. I just found my mind wondering thinking about other things. The narrator just could not pull me in which took away from the story. For me it just all kind of ran together and I found myself going back re-listening to what I had already listened to.

I really did not enjoy this audio but do plan on reading the book at some point. I feel I will enjoy it more. At that point I will redo my review.

Buy Links
Audible

Amazon

B&N

Summary
It's early 1944 and Richmond, Virginia is a devil's paradise. Ration scams and police corruption are rampant while the inflated black market commands top dollar.

Detective Sergeant Bennie Sherwood, fresh off a soul-scarring tour of duty with the Marines, couldn't care less. His old man was recently murdered under suspect circumstances and he's on a hunt for the truth.

But then an old friend is killed during a botched black market raid and Bennie is thrust onto a hellride through Richmond's underworld. Suddenly, he's at the front lines of a new kind of war, one that's played out in gentlemen's clubs and back alleys between tobacco kingpins and numbers runners.

It's a dark, twisted journey that will test Bennie's every limit, even as it gets him closer to the truth about his father..

No comments:

Post a Comment