Saturday, March 4, 2017

When You Make It Home


When You Make It Home

Written by: Claire Ashby
Narrated by: Piper Brown
Length: 10 hrs and 15 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:09-17-15
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC



This was one of the most emotional read I have ever listened to from an unexpected pregnant women to her many different men. One man is from her past, another is one she saw no future with and broke it off, the last is a soldier of war.  One has no time for her, one never said good-bye just never came back, the other has so many issues your heart just breaks for him and all he goes through. One of these men is the father of her baby, one hopes he is, one wants no part of it and the last wishes he was but will gladly take her and the baby any way he can get them.

For me this started out very slow and at times picked up and slowed down again as you close in on the middle of the book you are very hooked and need to know just how this plays out. Meg is just an emotional mess in more ways than one. She doesn’t want anyone to know she is expecting just yet with one wicked step mother who sees no good in her, a father she adores and doesn’t want to let down to her brother who has always been her anchor what will he think, let’s not forget the women who gave birth to her and left them at a very young age.  She knows she is expecting but as long as a doctor doesn’t say so than she can almost make herself believe she is not. Her secret won’t be a secret for long as fast as she is growing she won’t have to tell anyone they will know for their selves real soon. She will do this, she can do this alone, she just needs more time and to be able to work out all the issues over the baby’s father, her birth mother who never wanted her, what if she can’t be a mother and turns out like her mother. So many issues and question that needs to be worked out before she can be the person and mother she wants to be.

Theo he is an emotional mess his self he just got home and is badly wounded with his emotions all over the place. He doesn’t want anyone to feel sorry for him he is doing a wonderful job of that his self. When he and Meg cross swords as they have a self pity party they meet head on as words fly they soon find together they make a great team and a relationship is born. That is until ex’s walk back into their lives along with issues they each have that may tear them apart.

I really loved Ms. Brown’s narration with only a few things that makes this a 4 star and not a 5 star listen. There is one place where she over talks herself, I even went back to make sure I heard what I did. The story is going well and then there is a place where she is speaking twice in one place. It is almost like it was rewind and talked over but it has two different sentences spoken at once. There is also a few chapters where her volume changes when she said each chapter, such as Chapter 5, Chapter 7, Chapter 10.  (I do not remember which one they were but there were a few where the volume changed.) Not a major big deal just enough that you notice. Beside the above the volume never changes and is even throughout.  Her character voices were outstanding, her characters tones were filled with emotion hitting everyone right on the money. You always knew who was talking and just what they were feeling. Her male voices were just as great as her female ones, I really thought each voice fit the character making me really understand each one better. There is no background noise just a smooth clean listen but for the one issue I already stated. I have not listened to any of her work but really look forward to listening to more of it. For me she really pulled me in making me believe all she was staying. I had no trouble picturing in vivid detail of each scene as it unfolds. I believe I would not have gotten the same effect had I read and not listened. She really brought this story alive for me.

The characters of this story are normal people with normal issues, there is a lot of drama so most of our lives are filled with it. Just when you think you know where the author is going she changes it and throws a twist in it. Some of them I saw coming and others I was very shocked but it didn’t turn out as I thought they would. The author takes the bad and turns it into good as she twists your emotions all over the place. There is a little mystery between these pages as well as lots of secret that could tear a family apart as well as some that will draw people closer together. Theo just about had me in tears at the emotional psychical and mental issues he went through. I doubt you can read this and not be touched by his story. Meg there were times I really liked her and others where I would loved to have slapped her. I do have to admit when it came to the part about her mother it really tore me up there is one place maybe two when I really just wanted to cry with her. Her father has his own issues with his marriage and life. Her brother has a secret he is hiding as well as dealing with Meg issues trying so much to help her but at times can be a pain. Her step mother wow what can one say about her, she is something else but does learn what is important. Jason now he is someone who really needs to grow up. Her ex I never really got a handle on him he is in and out but seems to be controlling. There are the friends who you will just love and some others that will surprise you along the way.

All in all this was a great story that I really liked. The author brings characters in a way that she might be thinking of giving them their own story. There are a few I would love to learn more about and I feel deserve to have their story told. If you are looking for an emotional audio or even book that really grabs you leaving you in an emotional mess but also makes you smile and laugh I recommend you pick this up it is well worth your time.

I requested the audio from audiobookboom.com I thought it would be a great audio and found I was right. Great story as well as narration that really pulls you in.

Buy Links
Audio

Amazon

B&N

Summary
Meg Michaels, a bookstore owner, has already walked away from two cheating exes. She’s learned her lesson and has her mind set on success—until she gets knocked up. Embarrassed and unwilling to discuss her situation with friends and family, she wears layers to hide the pregnancy.

When Meg gets sick at a party, she’s mortified. Even worse, Theo Taylor, the guest of honor, discovers her secret. Theo, an Army medic wounded in the war, agrees not to reveal her condition, and the two forge a bond of friendship that blossoms into love.

Theo is soon filling all of Meg’s late-night cravings—and not just the pregnancy-induced ones. But can their love overcome all the obstacles that stand between them and creating a happy family

No comments:

Post a Comment