Sunday, December 4, 2016

Coming Home


Coming Home: Porter Brothers, Book 1

Written by: Paloma Beck
Narrated by: Kim Park
Length: 5 hrs and 55 mins
Series: Porter Brothers, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:07-29-16
Publisher: Romance Beckons


I have mixed feeling on this one at times it was heartbreaking and at other times I didn’t care for a few characters very much. Is it realistic oh yes I can see this playing out in real life it doesn’t mean I really like how things happen. I like her oldest son still have the question of why they lived in separate homes. As I look at other audios from this author I see the next one answers that. This is a standalone and beside their parents relationship it is a full story which you do not need to read the next book to get the full impact. If you are like me you will want to understand the life they lead and why they live in separate homes. The author does throw in a few twist that does make the read interesting and you won’t see coming.

Ryan left home years ago for college marrying a hometown girl when they didn’t work out she went home getting all the attention why Ryan stayed away leaving the family to think what they want. In return it put miles between his relationships with his family never really finding that easy going relationship again. He didn’t want to stay in a small town he wanted and needed the big city lights. With one phone call his life is about to change. After having words with his live in girlfriend that he didn’t care if she was there or not when he got back he leave to go home only to find his father isn’t doing well. He and his brothers go to a bar where he meets a woman who really turns him on.  One thing leads to another and they end up in bed. Tyra is hiding a few things but you won’t find out the full impact until a little later on in the book. I didn’t understand why Ryan was so upset to find out what her job was, I didn’t feel like she had lied to him as he felt. I really didn’t like him to much at first since he was still in a relationship with the girl in the city. I am not even sure how he came to they went together when he had not told her to leave or it was over. I really felt he was with her, using her to get the business from her father. She really isn’t very likable and I can’t believe any man would stay with her so long even for money. Hey it is my thoughts and I know it is done every day.

Ms. Parks does a good job on narration I did really care for some of her voices a few have a little more gravel than I like. You have no trouble knowing who is talking but sometimes she just didn’t pull off the emotion of the character enough for me. I thought her female voices were good but still at times lacking emotion that I thought would have really added to the story. Her natural voice is very appealing and she does a wonderful job telling the parts that are not character. I did not hear any background noise or any places where the volume was higher or lower than any other place in the audio. I believe there was one place where she repeated a word but it didn’t take away from the story. There were places I thought she spoke a little too slow but all in all it wasn’t a bad listen. With a little more emotion given to the characters at times this would have been a great audio. Would I listen to this narrator again yes I thought she did a good job.

I really liked Tyra as she plays out her part you know why she feels the way she does about Ryan. I really do not think she knows him but I understand her emotions. As she comes clean on her last surprise I could understand why she left that out until she saw whether or not things worked out. But she could have told him but not it get to the place where they came face to face. I thought Ryan was a little over the top on how mad he gets at her. I really didn’t understand why he cut his family off and I really hated he lost his father. I did feel for him and his pain at not being able to make a wrong a right. I really liked Ryan’s brothers they are really cute and fun at times. His mother I was a little confused about but that has to do with the different houses but she was sweet and kind.

I did feel this story could have happen just as the author wrote it people will be people and at times they really confuse me.  I do plan on reading the next book in this series which tells about the mother and their issues. That should be interesting.  I also think I would most likely have enjoyed this more if I had read the story and not listen to it. Not saying I didn’t enjoy it I just think reading it you can put more emotion in it. Just my thoughts. In no way am I saying don’t listen to this audio there were things I really liked about it. I do look forward to listening to more of this narrator.

I guess I just wasn’t expecting their father to pass on that really hit me hard. I agree Ryan and his girlfriend should split but didn’t like how that was done or her father throwing a power play in there. But again this is human nature which makes this believable.   All in all it was an enjoyable listen with some great parts and some not so great parts.

Buy link
Audible

Amazon

B&N

Kobo

Summary
Rachel Porter, a romance writer, has told her three sons tales of finding their true soul mate since they were just boys. She believes that there is but one match for every person. Now as men, they have yet to discover their soul mates.
​That is, until they come home…
Ryan Porter needs a change from his busy city lifestyle. After five years of living in New York and establishing his own real estate firm, something is still missing. When a tragedy brings Ryan back to his family’s rural home in Maine, he finds that missing piece.
Tyra has heard stories of Ryan since she first met his family years earlier. Now Ryan has come home and he is more than she dreamed he would be. Neither can fight their attraction for the other. And while Tyra just might be the catalyst for the change Ryan needs, first he must embrace Tyra’s secrets.
With family secrets creeping out, a profitable relationship ending, trouble with his company and the unexpected loss of his father, Ryan’s life has been thrown off course



No comments:

Post a Comment