Sunday, November 13, 2016

Kill and Run


Kill and Run: A Thorny Rose Mystery, Book 1


Written by: Lauren Carr
Narrated by: C.J. McAllister
Length: 11 hrs
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:10-14-16
Publisher: Acorn Book Services


This is a book full of surprises that keeps your attention as the author plays out the plot giving you a highly entertaining listen.  I thought it was really well written that is fast paced filled with action and mystery. I did guess who was pulling the cords a little over half way through but I have been wrong before. I didn’t know the how or why until near the end. The author does a great job at keeping you entertained and guessing. This is a very fast pace thrilling read that goes back for years and ties into Murphy wife’s first husbands killing that everyone thought was an accident. As you first start to listen you think oh what a sweet wonderful cop and listen in horror as the action unfolds. The author skips ahead a few years and the book takes off leaving you with your mouth hung open thinking oh my Lord a time or two. The author gives you a ton of surprise along the way with some shocks as well. You will find monsters and still more monsters controlling everything from women to a career with one person behind it all trying to take the world on to get what they feel they deserve. As the end comes you will be left with shocks and surprises that will leave you with your mouth hung open.  

Mr. McAllister I thought did a wonderful job with the character voices he really put emotion into them never leaving you guessing who was talking or what they were feeling. I thought his normal voice where he was just reading didn’t come across as easy or as natural as I thought it should. I did feel all in all he did a wonderful job at keeping me pulled in and entertained. You could really feel the emotions he put into the read. I did not hear any background noises or any places where the audio was higher or lower than any place else on the audio. If any breaks were taken I could not tell. I felt he gave a clear and clean listen that really pulls in the listener. His male voices were just as great as his females you had no trouble knowing who was talking or what they were feeling. I had no trouble picturing what the author wanted me to as he narrated the book. I do look forward to listening to more of his work.

The author gives you so many wonderful characters it is hard to pick my favorite. I would have to say my heart really went out to Cameron and Lizzy the most. Just wait until you meet Monica and the part she plays. Your heart may change on this little dear..that is all I can say. As the book takes off with 5 women dead and the why, who and what keeps you in surprise you are pulled in and left on the edge as more people’s lives are at stake you are left wondering who will be left a live if any. I loved the plot and the characters. The mystery was outstanding as well as the thrills and holding your breath to see what happens next.  As the mystery builds and suspense takes over it was an audio I couldn’t put down. I found things to do around the home so I could listen longer. This is filled with action never a dull minute as the chilling mystery unfold leaving you wanting to get your hands on one person for all he put so many through.  I had no trouble visualize the scenes as they came to life for me leaving me at times in shock at how far one person would go and what they would do. The title really fits this story it all started with a kill and run as the author takes you through the paces of one man and his career to get to the top. This book was really thought out giving the reader/listener a highly entertaining listen. I am so looking forward to more work from this author. If you love a little mystery, with lots of action and a little romance this is the thriller for you.

Buy Links
Audible

Amazon

B&N

Summary

Five women with seemingly nothing in common are found brutally murdered in a townhome outside Washington, DC. Among the many questions surrounding the massacre is what had brought these apparent strangers together only to be killed.
Taking on his first official murder case, Lieutenant Murphy Thornton, USN, believes that if he can uncover the thread connecting the victims, then he can find their murderer.
Before long, the case takes an unexpected turn when Murphy discovers that one of the victims has a connection to his stepmother, Homicide Detective Cameron Gates. One wintry night, over a dozen years before, her first husband, a Pennsylvania State trooper, had been run down while working a night shift on the turnpike.
In this first installment of the Thorny Rose Mysteries, Lieutenant Murphy Thornton and Jessica Faraday sift through a web of lies and cover-ups. Together, can the detectives uncover the truth without falling victim to a cunning killer?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the fabulous review of KILL AND RUN! I m so glad you enjoyed this first installment in the Thorny Rose Mysteries. I am sure your followers will enjoy it as well. Look for the next installment, produced by CJ McAllister in January 2017!

    ReplyDelete